HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Three Saturdays in Canebrake Messages in this topic - RSS

tommy750
tommy750

3/17/2020
tommy750
tommy750
Haven't been in Canebrake Valley for a while but wasting time on GE one morning, I spotted what appeared to be a spring exploited by ranchers that I've never noticed before. That led to three Saturdays and about 45 miles wandering around, twice starting at North Fork Indian Valley and once accompanied with Daren from Mile Marker 41. Checked out an occupation site and found a few projectile points. Not sure if these broke during production or returned inside the prey after a successful hunt. Nice broken Cottonwood point:

IMG_3047 by tomteske, on Flickr

Equally nice Desert Side Notch point. Supposedly if it has a basal notch it's a Sierra Side Notch:

IMG_3058 by tomteske, on Flickr

Cremated bone:

IMG_3045 by tomteske, on Flickr

Crawling out of a rock shelter was surprised to find this striped Desert Side Notch:

IMG_3108 by tomteske, on Flickr

Further up valley came across these straps and ?harness. Immediately suspected it was from the parachute or ejection seat of the downed T-33 near Agua Caliente:

IMG_3227 by tomteske, on Flickr

IMG_3230 by tomteske, on Flickr

IMG_3236 by tomteske, on Flickr

French INOX carabiner:

IMG_3238 by tomteske, on Flickr

But if you compare the straps cut from the T-33 ejection seat Daren found a while back ( the other one was recovered), the straps look quite different so who knows. You guys know what this is??

Two Belts by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren showed me an old ranching camp which also was a native occupation site:

IMG_3339 by tomteske, on Flickr

IMG_3348 by tomteske, on Flickr

And this historical artifact:

IMG_3341 by tomteske, on Flickr

Almost stepped on this guy:

IMG_3196 by tomteske, on Flickr

Skid marks:

IMG_3159 by tomteske, on Flickr

Beautiful scenery all around:

IMG_3356 by tomteske, on Flickr

IMG_3351 by tomteske, on Flickr

Daren checking out cattle bones:

IMG_3371 by tomteske, on Flickr

Actually, I think the main reason Daren went was to recover this old school radiosonde Unfortunately, we didn't have time to swing by and collect it. Daren says you might get a nice tour of the local NOAA site if you drop off a vintage model.

IMG_3276 by tomteske, on Flickr

Oh yeah, the spring! So, the now dry spring was an occupation site and then much later used for a cattle watering trough. A water trough was constructed on top of a boulder that contained multiple morteros and still has pottery next to it. A modern round trough was apparently added later. You can see piping heading up to a green spot above. Never seen anything like it:

IMG_3250 by tomteske, on Flickr

Morteros inside the trough:

IMG_3255 by tomteske, on Flickr

Lots of dried grass below the now dry spring:

IMG_3269 by tomteske, on Flickr

Heading home. Enjoy! Tom

IMG_3294 by tomteske, on Flickr
edited by tommy750 on 3/17/2020
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

3/17/2020
rockhopper
rockhopper
Looks like you covered a lot area on foot of that vastly in under explored place in our county. 45 miles. Wow! Good eye on the arrow points. The fact that the points were not made of the preferred obsidian means that most likely Lake Cahuilla was full thus covering the locals preferred obsidian source. Good point on the ranchers / miners building atop of older habitations. I've noticed that too.
+1 link
tommy750
tommy750

3/17/2020
tommy750
tommy750
Rocko1 wrote:
Wow! Some fantastic finds. I would assume the spring would have some dampness/trickle with the weather we have had.

Would be nice to find at least seasonal flow. The vegetation and organic layer is so dense at this location I'm not sure a small amount of flow would be visible but who knows and maybe it's worth another visit.
+1 link
tommy750
tommy750

3/17/2020
tommy750
tommy750
Scooter wrote:
Thank you for a great trip report. I have backpacker in over night from the North Fork of Indian Valley not to bad. Great area to explore

Definitely agree. Pepperwood Canyon is my favorite way in and of course there's that little 2000 ft bounce on your way out that's always a healthy pulse quickener smile
+1 link
Scooter
Scooter

3/17/2020
Scooter
Scooter
On our trip in from North Indian Valley, took an experienced backpacker that had not done any desert off trail hiking. He picked up three cholla bombs in about the first half mile. He learned quickly and that was it for the rest of the two day trip. 🤣
+1 link
Brian
Brian

3/18/2020
Brian
Brian
Seeing artifacts - even relatively recent ones like the ejection strap - always makes me think of the event that caused that object to be there and how it has been undisturbed and mostly unobserved since. It gives a sense of the scale of time. It's one of the things I love about the desert.
+1 link
tekewin
tekewin

3/22/2020
tekewin
tekewin
Very nice! Those old soda pull tops could be made into a launcher. You separate the flat part of the tab from the ring, then load the ring onto the wide side of tab using the notch on either side , then fire!
+1 link
rockhopper
rockhopper

3/24/2020
rockhopper
rockhopper
tommy750 wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
Looks like you covered a lot area on foot of that vastly in under explored place in our county. 45 miles. Wow! Good eye on the arrow points. The fact that the points were not made of the preferred obsidian means that most likely Lake Cahuilla was full thus covering the locals preferred obsidian source. Good point on the ranchers / miners building atop of older habitations. I've noticed that too.

Really like that area since it's so desolate and peaceful. That's a good observation about the alternative materials when Obsidian Butte was under water. Don't know if the obsidian hydration techniques are accurate enough to determine if all the obsidian artifacts around here dated to periods when the butte was exposed or whether it's already been looked at. Did find one obsidian point but pretty beat up.

Tommy, Found this from an old article. Shows how far Obsidian butte material traveled. To the coast and up north and down to Northern Baja over thousands of years. The early Native Americans of the area were known to have walked up to 40 miles in a day carrying trading goods. I need to hike more!

edited by rockhopper on 3/24/2020
+1 link