HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

In the Hills between Dos Cabezas and Carrizo Gorge Messages in this topic - RSS

railexplorer
railexplorer

4/14/2019
railexplorer
railexplorer
I went for a hike, last Sunday, primarily in the hills between Dos Cabezas and Carrizo Gorge. We started at Dos Cabezas headed west past Indian Hill, used the tracks for a bit and then headed into the hills by way of one of the old railroad work roads. The weather was good, there were no other hikers or mountain bikers in the area. Anytime we could see the tracks, the tracks were empty of hikers and mountain bikers.

Most of the wildflowers are past their prime bloom, although having said that there wasn't a lack of color in the desert. The cactus are in the early stages of their bloom this year.

We saw a lot shinx moths and a couple of hummingbirds.

I do have a question for the desert veterans on this site. Is there petrified wood in this part of the Anza Borrego Desert? I ask this because we were coming down this one draw/drainage canyons. and we encountered a rock that was different from just about all of the others. My friend thought it was petrified wood. It did have the look of petrified wood. My doubts about it stem from the fact that it was a pretty good sized rock, (3 feet tall, 3 feet wide and about 3-4 feet deep.) Due to the fact that we were rock hopping, so my camera was put away and I was lazy/dumb and didn't take out my camera and take a photo of it.

Here are a few photos from the day.

Anza Borrego Desert Bloom by Rail explorer, on Flickr

Desert Bloom 2019 by Rail explorer, on Flickr

Yellow rails by Rail explorer, on Flickr

Old Derailment in Carrizo Gorge by Rail explorer, on Flickr
+2 link
Buford
Buford

4/15/2019
Buford
Buford
Cool pictures.

There is petrified wood in Borrego. I have never seen any in that area, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
+1 link