HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Thimble from Cherry Canyon Messages in this topic - RSS

tekewin
tekewin

2/16/2020
tekewin
tekewin
I recently discovered the Cherry Canyon trailhead on BLM land east of San Ysidro. It's a much easier approach to the Thimble and other nearby mountains. I drove in on Via Oak Grove from S22, turned left at the end, then right on Lease road, then right again on the public road that heads into Cherry Canyon. There's sort of a fuzzy patchwork of private land, BLM land, and state park land in this area. I saw 3 other hikers on the road coming back from San Ysidro so it's not a secret. The Thimble is on my favorite mountains and always a fun scramble. This was my second summit. The first time I went up a 20' chimney that required some stemming. This time, I looked around and found a 15' class 3 crack right of the chimney (also right of the gully). It was easier and led to a nice slab and the top. New register was placed on 2/1.

Start on Cherry Canyon Road (unsigned)

Thimble from the east

New crack route, just below that plant. Fairly easy class 3.

San Ysidro from the top

Down the same way
edited by tekewin on 2/16/2020
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius

2/16/2020
ziphius
ziphius
Looks like a fun and alternative route! Thanks for posting.

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
+1 link
tekewin
tekewin

2/17/2020
tekewin
tekewin
rockhopper wrote:
Nice boulder climbing. I like your Iron Man hiking gloves. Cheers.

When my wife and I did Half Dome cables in 2017, I bought a 12-pack of these rubber palmed gloves for about $8. This is the 7th pair. I like to use them on rougher rock. not that Thimble is terrible.
+1 link
tekewin
tekewin

2/17/2020
tekewin
tekewin
Buford wrote:
Nice. I have used the same trailhead as well. The only thing I didn't like was leaving a car there. Seemed sketchy.

Yeah, the houses in the area are a little sketch, probably worth the risk to cut miles out of the round trip. The Thimble was only 1.25 miles as the crow flies.
+1 link
deborah
deborah

2/17/2020
deborah
deborah
Nice report! Thanks for the info. I've never been out there. The rocks look like fun!
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

2/18/2020
Rocko1
Rocko1
tekewin wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
Nice boulder climbing. I like your Iron Man hiking gloves. Cheers.

When my wife and I did Half Dome cables in 2017, I bought a 12-pack of these rubber palmed gloves for about $8. This is the 7th pair. I like to use them on rougher rock. not that Thimble is terrible.

I use similar gloves when there is scrambling involved. I cut the thumb out of the right hand so I can use my phone. Great gloves, light and durable.
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius

2/18/2020
ziphius
ziphius
I want to own one of the sketchy houses in that area. wink

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
+1 link