HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Villager Peak Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1

4/23/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
I decided to tackle Villager Peak a couple of Sundays ago. It had been intriguing me ever since I read about it in Schad’s Afoot and Afield years ago. I figured I better do it before it gets too hot. I told my wife how hard this would be and how miserable she would feel yet somehow she was still game. Left my house at 4am and was on the trail by 6:20am a bit of a late start for me. Was about 55F. Well, they were not lying about the rocky trail-first mile is sandy wash, then the climbing starts. Loose broken rock over most of the trail with a very occasional short flat section. After a few expletives from the wife made it to the top by 11:30am.

There is a wind break and rock fireplace up top-plenty of room for multiple tents, Pinyons Pines and shade. It’s quite nice. More pleasant that Whale Peak in my opinion. At the top it was 70F with a slight breeze. Views are really incredible. I would have liked to spend more time up there but I wasn’t sure how long it would take to get back. Drank some coffee, ate some bars and decided to head back. Made it back the car at 4:30pm or so. Saw a small group of people on the way up 1.5 miles in-breaking camp and at the top we saw a couple who were just coming back from Rabbit Peak-they had spent the night. Didn’t see anyone else. Was 92F at the car. I had some left in the tank but my wife was at her limit. That’s the hardest hike she has done-San Jacinto was the toughest. Glad we did it. I will want to tackle Rabbit someday with a multi-day trip. Not looking forward to the water carry on that. Took 9L between us both-used all of it.
Looking back towards the car.

Harvestmen are strange creatures. These were all over on the lower elevations.

Still decent amount of flowers up the trail.

Small wind break

Another

View of the dry lake bed

At the peak. Wind break and fireplace.

Trip Specs. 14.32 miles, 5,017ft gain.

Couple of videos of the hike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFetNbtsJPk&feature=youtu.be

One of the rare flat sections. This was heaven on the feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQyty7iYrmU&feature=youtu.be

edited by Rocko1 on 4/24/2019
link
tekewin
tekewin

4/23/2019
tekewin
tekewin
I love the view on that ridge into Clark Valley just below Villager. Great trip!
+1 link
Buford
Buford

4/23/2019
Buford
Buford
Nice. Definitely a lot of elevation gain and loss with some good views.

Those rock wind breaks sure are multiplying rapidly over the last couple years.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
+1 link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

4/24/2019
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
I have said in previous posts, the top of the 'Rosa's are one of my favorites, the views of the Salton Sea, Cochella Valley at night and all of ABDSP are just amazing. I fully recommend an overnight stay when possible. The sunrise over the Salton Sea is just gorgeous from that altitude. Nice TR, thanks for sharing.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+1 link
Scooter
Scooter

4/24/2019
Scooter
Scooter
dsefcik wrote:
I have said in previous posts, the top of the 'Rosa's are one of my favorites, the views of the Salton Sea, Cochella Valley at night and all of ABDSP are just amazing. I fully recommend an overnight stay when possible. The sunrise over the Salton Sea is just gorgeous from that altitude. Nice TR, thanks for sharing.
+1 link
Scooter
Scooter

4/24/2019
Scooter
Scooter
A good way to do Rabbit is spend the night on Villager and leave early in the morning for Rabbit. After you get back from Rabbit hike out to your car. The views from Villager are much better than Rabbit since it has A lot of trees and brush. We also like it leave water bottles on the trail on the way up to Villager so you don't have to carry all the water up.
+1 link
rockhopper
rockhopper

4/24/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
Daren pretty much sums it up. Fantastic views of every where. I really am in awe of the steep escarpments dropping off down to Clark dry lake.
One of my top favorite day hikes. Thanks for posting.
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

4/24/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Buford wrote:
Nice. Definitely a lot of elevation gain and loss with some good views.

Those rock wind breaks sure are multiplying rapidly over the last couple years.

The trail doesn't hold up to Schad's original description that said only a few people bag this peak a year. Hiking apps, the internet, his books I am sure have all led to it's increased popularity. The breaks are not LNT for sure but I can't say that in high winds if I was up there I wouldn't try to use them to shield my tent.
link
Rocko1
Rocko1

4/24/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Scooter wrote:
A good way to do Rabbit is spend the night on Villager and leave early in the morning for Rabbit. After you get back from Rabbit hike out to your car. The views from Villager are much better than Rabbit since it has A lot of trees and brush. We also like it leave water bottles on the trail on the way up to Villager so you don't have to carry all the water up.

I will probably attempt this at some point. I wanted to cache water on the way up but that kind of got forgotten as I was in the 'zone' grinding up hill. I consumed 5.5 liters but could have drank another liter. That's a 26lb water carry for an overnight without caching.
link