HomeCompleted Trips

Talk about a trip you took out to Anza Borrego

Mortero Palms to Goat Canyon Trestle, then North Messages in this topic - RSS

anutami
anutami

12/16/2019
anutami
anutami
Thanks to Bob keeping this forum going! I still read all your posts but haven’t posted much, sorry. Thanks for all the reports.
As our kids are getting older we are able to venture a lot farther from the campsite (I have to admit I have gotten soft with our 4x4 camper) so We decided to head out to Anza Borrego and hike to the Goat canyon trestle which is the Longest and Tallest curved wooden trestle in the world. It’s a pretty rigorous hike having to do a lot of boulder scrambling but well worth it. We Headed out to Blair Valley for a night.

Blair Valley views

Looking north toward shelter valley

Headed toward Mortero Palms

Water Station

Phone Booth

Nice little camp spot

Brett scrambling amongst the boulders

Nice pool of water

Mortero Palms to Goat Canyon Trestle #2

The Palms

Views from the top

Entering the rugged Goat Canyon

Trestle coming into view

A bit sketchy in sections

Tallest and Longest curved wooden trestle in the world

Old collapsed tunnel before they built the trestle

Eating lunch where the builders also ate lunch long ago

Pretty amazing curve

Checking out one of the tunnels

Quite a bit to work to do to get the railroad back up and running

Heading back to camp

Got back just in time

We then had reservations for upper pines Over Thanksgiving hoping for snow. As we got to the south entrance the ranger informed us they shut down the campground due to the prediction of too much snow!!! They had evacuated the campground and the tent cabins. We then turned around headed back to Fresno and Then East into Sequoia National Park. Happy they didn’t shut it down smile.
Settled in before the storm hit

The next morning

And continued to snow for the next 3 days smile

We got our flashlights and hiked to the Lodge/restaurant for a Yummy Thanskgiving Dinner

The Restaurant

Had to educate my son what this is/was

Headed back home

It took awhile to get my truck started sitting in freezing temps for 3 days but we had a blast hanging out, snow showing and sledding around.

The much needed snow shovel saved us after about 4’ of snow in 3 days!!

hope you enjoyed the report

Other pics from previous adventures
One of my favorite pics of the season (anyone know the location?)

Brett learning to drive (don’t tell the rangers)

+2 link
Britain
Britain

12/17/2019
Britain
Britain
Awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
ziphius
ziphius

12/17/2019
ziphius
ziphius
Great stuff! Love the pay phone!

--
http://www.coyotelearning.org
link
deborah
deborah

12/17/2019
deborah
deborah
Nice!! Thanks for posting. Looks like a great trip.
link
tommy750
tommy750

12/17/2019
tommy750
tommy750
Welcome back, Anutami! Haven't seen a post from you in literally years?? Great trip report.
link
rockhopper
rockhopper

12/18/2019
rockhopper
rockhopper
What an expedition! Lucky kids.
link
Buford
Buford

12/18/2019
Buford
Buford
Awesome. I can't believe someone put up a rope to get around that dry fall. It is passable without. Cool to see all the SeKi snow too.

It looks like the fire isn't in a metal container. FYI, that is an expensive ticket. I know someone that got cited for that infraction recently in Borrego. They were well off the beaten path and didn't know the rules. A ranger pulled up and surprised them at night.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1

12/18/2019
Rocko1
Rocko1
Buford wrote:
Awesome. I can't believe someone put up a rope to get around that dry fall. It is passable without. Cool to see all the SeKi snow too.

It looks like the fire isn't in a metal container. FYI, that is an expensive ticket. I know someone that got cited for that infraction recently in Borrego. They were well off the beaten path and didn't know the rules. A ranger pulled up and surprised them at night.

I carry a $1 store steel pie tin for fires while backpacking. Works well and only weighs 3oz or so.
link
anutami
anutami

12/20/2019
anutami
anutami
tommy750 wrote:
Welcome back, Anutami! Haven't seen a post from you in literally years?? Great trip report.

thanks for the welcome back, been real busy with the kids getting into organized sports and just gotten lazy with the trip reports.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator

12/20/2019
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
I am not recognizing the mystery area, half wanna say the mud caves area but don't think that is it.
Is that a real bat??

Great pics and love the snow, good to see you back..!

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
link
anutami
anutami

12/20/2019
anutami
anutami
Buford wrote:
Awesome. I can't believe someone put up a rope to get around that dry fall. It is passable without.

yeah, it makes it a bit more dramatic seeing that rope there but then you realize it is not really needed. Was fun for my son to swing out and tackle the hard side, I took the path of least resistance of course...

Buford wrote:
It looks like the fire isn't in a metal container. FYI, that is an expensive ticket. I know someone that got cited for that infraction recently in Borrego. They were well off the beaten path and didn't know the rules. A ranger pulled up and surprised them at night..

thanks for the heads up but that particular camp site actually has a permanent metal container, its just piled up with rocks around it, kinda hard to see this pic may be better,... I carry a BBQ lid that works quite well. Just curious if you know what the fine is? I have been hassled before about rocks being put around the metal container and the fire can still char the rocks.

edited by anutami on 12/20/2019
link
anutami
anutami

12/20/2019
anutami
anutami
dsefcik wrote:
I am not recognizing the mystery area, half wanna say the mud caves area but don't think that is it.
Is that a real bat??

Great pics and love the snow, good to see you back..!

thanks, been reading a lot of the trip reports and wanted to contribute something since its been so long.

The water flowing is the mouth of sheep canyon, we went out a couple of weeks ago for a day trip and it was warm the water was flowing pretty far out.

yeah that was a bat in one of the mud caves, we went out there over Halloween instead of trick or treating and it was so cool.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/sOJSn6Rl.jpg[/IMG]

link
Buford
Buford

12/20/2019
Buford
Buford
anutami wrote:
Buford wrote:
Awesome. I can't believe someone put up a rope to get around that dry fall. It is passable without.

yeah, it makes it a bit more dramatic seeing that rope there but then you realize it is not really needed. Was fun for my son to swing out and tackle the hard side, I took the path of least resistance of course...

Buford wrote:
It looks like the fire isn't in a metal container. FYI, that is an expensive ticket. I know someone that got cited for that infraction recently in Borrego. They were well off the beaten path and didn't know the rules. A ranger pulled up and surprised them at night..

thanks for the heads up but that particular camp site actually has a permanent metal container, its just piled up with rocks around it, kinda hard to see this pic may be better,... I carry a BBQ lid that works quite well. Just curious if you know what the fine is? I have been hassled before about rocks being put around the metal container and the fire can still char the rocks.

Cool. I was told $400-500 for the fine, but the person was still waiting for the official ticket in the mail. They are trying to prevent fire scars all over the landscape with the number of people using Borrego, so rocks stacked around metal is still likely to get some scrutiny.

--
Links to my photos: ABDSP photos, Bighorn sheep photos, ABDSP time lapse video, Wildlife photos (mainly birds)
+1 link
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator

12/23/2019
surfponto
surfponto
Administrator
Welcome back. Love the report.
Looks like your camper is working out great.
Nice you are introducing your kids to the Desert.

We used to take my son out when he was pre-teen and he would always argue and say he wanted to stay home to play computer games.
Fast forward 15 years later and he is now asking me about getting together for a Desert camping trip. ;-)

--
https://www.anzaborrego.net/

+1 link